Some North Carolina Craft Brewers are at the limit and prefer control over distribution of their product. This allows them to control storage conditions, reduce the age of the beer and hear what their customers are saying. Forcing them to pay a distributor who also distributes their competitor's beer including giants Bud Light, Coors, Miller and Corona is not a Free Market. Distributors are guaranteed their business so they are more concerned about their largest customers. Making their service optional will ensure that the distributors work to add value to the Craft Brewers so that it is a winning agreement for both sides.
So why did Republican Leadership abandon their "principles" in favor of distributors and large brewers who have no breweries in North Carolina? Just follow the money.
From 2013-2016 they received a lot of money from individual distributors and the NC Beer & Wine Wholesalers PAC.
- Senate President Pro Tem Phil Berger (R) received $192,200.
- House Speaker Tim Moore (R) received $98,466 of Big Beer money.
- Pat McCrory (R) received about $97,000.
- Roy Cooper(D) took in about $73,000.
- Jamie Boles (R), co-chair of the House ABC Committee, received $32,450 which was over 30% of the total he raised from individuals.
- By contrast, supporter of NC Craft Brewers, Rep. Chuck McGrady (R), co-chair of the House ABC Committee, received only $1,750.
Other top recipients of campaign money from 2013-2016 include: John Bell (R), House Majority Leader, $25,600; David Lewis (R), House Rules Chair, $25,050; Susan Martin (R), $24,300; Harry Brown (R), Senate Majority Leader, $19,750; Trudy Wade (R), $19,750.
Libertarian Party of Catawba County
Have Us E-mail You The Latest News
Your #1 Local Source for News, Sports, Opinion, Obituaries, Religion, Classifieds, Events, Photos, Community, Coupons, and more!
Serving Lincoln, Catawba, Gaston and Cleveland counties including the areas of Lincolnton, Denver, Maiden, Stanley, Alexis, Vale, Crouse, Iron Station, High Shoals and Cherryville.
Not a newspaper, not a magazine, we’re online – on your computer at home or work, on your smartphone… with news and more 24 hours a day, seven days a week, every day of the year including holidays.