Community Living | Coupon | Police Scanner | E-News Signup | Archives | Merchant Directory | Dining Guide
Have a HOT TIP? Call 704-276-6587 Or E-mail us At LH@LincolnHerald.net
Lincoln Herald | Lincolnton, NC


home : news : news November 20, 2017

10/17/2017 3:09:00 PM
General Assembly Overrides Cooper's Veto
New election law approved

Wayne Howard
Staff Writer



The North Carolina House of Representatives overrode Governor Roy Cooper's veto of an election bill Tuesday morning (Oct.17th) cancelling the state's judicial primaries next year and lowering the percentage of votes needed to win a primary to 30% instead of 40%.

It was the judicial primary change that prompted Cooper's veto, but other parts of Senate Bill 656 are of more interest related to local elections. The new law provides easier access to getting on the ballot for unaffiliated and third-party candidates.



Lincoln Herald Community Sponsor Ad

Cooper said he fears the canceled judicial primaries are but a first step toward ending judicial elections altogether in favor of legislative appointments for judges. That would require amending the state constitution, something Chief Justice Mark Martin suggested this summer, and sources say a bill to do just that will likely be filed early next year.

The vote to override Tuesday was 72-40 in the House, and it followed a 26-15 override vote in the Senate Monday night.

The new law now requires only 1.5% of voters in a district or county election to sign a petition to get an unaffiliated candidate's name on the ballot. Previously 4% were required.

Perhaps more significant is the change from 40% being sufficient to win a primary to 30%. In a multi-candidate race, that makes achieving victory in a first primary more likely and then reduces the likelihood of a second primary. If the top vote-getter in such a race gets 30% more of the votes cast, he or she would advance to the general election.

The change in the law could benefit one candidate for Sheriff in next year's election. Alan Hoyle filed paperwork with the Elections Office allowing him to accept donations for a campaign. Hoyle had said that he would run as an unaffiliated candidate. If he chooses to file, he'll now need the signatures of only 1.5% of eligible voters instead of 4%.

Another candidate who ran a write-in campaign against Sheriff David Carpenter in 2014 filed paperwork indicating he'll seek the Republican nomination next year. Anthony Huss filed his intention to run on October 6th, making him the sixth candidate to establish a campaign for the GOP nomination. Lincoln County Board of Commissioners chairman and former Chief Deputy Bill Beam, Lincolnton Police Lt. Jason Munday, Lincoln County Sheriff’s Capt. Tim Johnson, Commissioner Carrol Mitchem and Lincoln County Sheriff’s Lt. Jon Propst are the others.

Huss was arrested for kidnapping in 2007 in a domestic incident involving an ex-girlfriend; his conviction was overturned after he spent two years in prison.



Have Us E-mail You The Latest News
Click Here


LincolnHerald.net or LincolnHerald.com--

Your #1 Source for Local News, Sports, Opinion, Obituaries, Religion, Classifieds, Community Events, Photos, Coupons, and more!

Serving Lincoln, Catawba, Gaston and Cleveland counties.

Not a newspaper, not a magazine, we’re online – on your computer at home or work, on your smartphone… with news and more 24 hours a day, seven days a week, every day of the year including holidays.

Visit Our Facebook Page 
LincolnHerald.net




Wendy Peeler - Small Business Christmas Expo




Article Comment Submission Form
Please feel free to submit your comments.

Article comments are not posted immediately to the Web site. Each submission must be approved by the Web site editor, who may edit content for appropriateness. There may be a delay of 24-48 hours for any submission while the web site editor reviews and approves it.

Note: All information on this form is required. Your telephone number is for our use only, and will not be attached to your comment.
Submit an Article Comment
First Name:
Required
Last Name:
Required
Telephone:
Required
Email:
Required
Comment:
Required
Passcode:
Anti-SPAM Passcode Click here to see a new mix of characters.
This is an anti-SPAM device. It is not case sensitive.
   


North Carolina News

LincolnHerald How To Advertise











News
• Business
• Lifestyles
• Arts & Culture
• Military
• Education
• Community Living
• Who's In Jail?
• Weather
• Lincoln Sheriff's Incident Report
• Lincoln County Government News
• Law Enforcement
• Home & Garden
• Health and Wellness
• Entertainment News

HomeNewsState NewsReligionOpinionSportsObituariesExtrasCommunityClassifiedsSubmit

Terms and Use | Merchant Directory | Dining Guide
Site Design and Content
Copyright Lincoln Herald, LLC 2011-2015

 


Software © 1998-2017 1up! Software, All Rights Reserved