|3/16/2020 12:01:00 AM|
Today In History - March 16
|Reprinted By Permission|
Today in History in 1850 “Scarlett Letter” by Nathaniel Hawthorne was published; in 1881 Barnum & Bailey Circus debuted; and in 1945 the Allies secured Iwo Jima.
Our on this day in history archives contain over 200,000 events, birthdays and deaths from 6,000 years of history. Here is a roundup of a few of them:
- 597 BC - Babylonians capture Jerusalem, replace Jehoiachin with Zedekiah as king.
- 1792 - King Gustav III of Sweden is shot by Count Anckarström at a masked ball at the Opera; he dies on March 29.
- 1850 - Nathaniel Hawthorne's "Scarlet Letter" published
- 1867 - First publication of an article by Joseph Lister outlining the discovery of antiseptic surgery, in The Lancet.
- 1869 - Hiram R. Revels makes 1st official speech by an African American in the Senate
- 1881 - Barnum & Bailey Circus debuts
- 1882 - US Senate ratifies treaty establishing the Red Cross
- 1912 - Mrs William Howard Taft plants 1st cherry tree in Washington, DC
- 1926 - Robert Goddard launches 1st liquid fuel rocket, goes 184' (56 meters)
- 1935 - Hitler orders German rearmament, violating Versailles Treaty
- 1945 - Allies secure Iwo Jima
- 1968 - General Motors produces its 100 millionth automobile, the Oldsmobile Toronado.
- 1739 - George Clymer, US merchant (signed Decl of Ind, Constitution)
- 1751 - James Madison, Port Conway Va, (D-R), 4th US president (1809-17)
- 1799 - Anna Atkins, English botanist and photographer, 1st person to publish a book illustrated with photographic images, born in Tonbridge, England (d. 1871)
- 1912 - Patricia Nixon, [Thelma Catherine], Ely Nevada, 1st lady (1968-74)
- 1926 - Jerry Lewis, [Joseph Levitch], Newark New Jersey, comedian/fund raiser (MDA),
- 1822 - Opera Composer (The Barber of Seville) Gioacchino Rossini marries 1st wife Opera Singer Isabella Colbran in Bologna
- 1905 - Inventor and electrical engineer Guglielmo Marconi (30) weds Beatrice O'Brien
- 1939 - Marriage of Princess Fawzia of Egypt to Shah Mohammad Reza Pahlavi of Iran.
- 1985 - Actress Maureen McCormick (28) weds Michael Cummings
- 1996 - Sportscaster Pat Summerall (65) weds Cherilyn Burns in Florida
- 1983 - Producer Dick Wolf (36) divorces Susan Scranton after more than 13 years of marriage
- 1940 - Selma Lagerlöf, Swedish writer and Nobel Prize laureate, dies at 81
- 1971 - Thomas E. Dewey, US president candidate (R 1944, 48), dies of a heart attack at 68
- 1975 - T-Bone Walker, blues guitarist (Funky Town, Well Done), dies at 64
Have Us E-mail You The Latest News
Your #1 Local Source for News, Sports, Opinion, Obituaries, Religion, Classifieds, Events, Photos, Community, Coupons, and more!
Serving Lincoln, Catawba, Gaston and Cleveland counties including the areas of Lincolnton, Denver, Maiden, Stanley, Alexis, Vale, Crouse, Iron Station, High Shoals and Cherryville.
Not a newspaper, not a magazine, we’re online – on your computer at home or work, on your smartphone… with news and more 24 hours a day, seven days a week, every day of the year including holidays.
To Make Sure You Always
Get The Latest Updates,
If You Haven’t Already:
Like Our Facebook Page and
Click On SEE FIRST at
Also Follow Us On Twitter
Article Comment Submission Form