|2/18/2021 3:48:00 PM|
Today In History - February 18
|Reprinted By Permission|
Today in History in 1503 Henry Tudor created the Prince of Wales; in 1885 “Adventures of Huckleberry Finn” was published by Mark Twain; and in 1929 the first Academy Awards were announced.
Our on this day in history archives contain over 200,000 events, birthdays and deaths from 6,000 years of history. Here is a roundup of a few of them:
- 1503 - Henry Tudor created Prince of Wales (later Henry VIII)
- 1678 - John Bunyan's "Pilgrim's Progress" is published in Holborn, London, by Nathaniel Ponder
- 1861 - King Victor Emmanuel II of Sardinia becomes 1st King of Italy
- 1885 - Mark Twain publishes the "Adventures of Huckleberry Finn"
- 1929 - The first Academy Awards are announced.
- 1516 - Mary I Tudor, [Bloody Mary], Greenwich, queen of England (1553-58)
- 1745 - Alessandro Volta, Italian physicist and inventor of the 1st battery, born in Como, Italy (d. 1827)
- 1857 - Max Klinger, German graphic artist/painter/sculptor
- 1920 - Bill Cullen, Pitts, TV game show host (over 20 different games)
- 1920 - Jack Palance, [Walter Palanuik], Lattimer Pa, actor (City Slickers)
- 1921 - Barbara Hale, actress (Della Street-Perry Mason)
- 1922 - Helen Gurley Brown, Portland Maine, US author/publisher and editor-in-chief of Cosmopolitan, (d. 2012)
- 1933 - Yoko Ono Lennon, [Mrs John Lennon], Tokyo Japan, singer and artist
- 1950 - Cybill Shepherd, Memphis Tn, actress (Moonlighting, Last Picture Show)
- 1954 - John Travolta, Englewood NJ, actor (Welcome Back Kotter, Pulp Fiction)
- 1957 - Vanna White, [Rosich], N Myrtle Beach SC, TV host (Wheel of Fortune)
- 1968 - Molly Ringwald, Roseville California, actress (16 Candles, Pretty in Pink)
- 1922 - Football player George Halas (27) weds Minnie Bushing
- 1937 - Actress Mary Astor (30) weds film editor Manuel del Campo (23) in Yuma, Arizona
- 1940 - Molecular biologist Francis Crick (23) weds Ruth Doreen Dodd
- 1943 - Augusto Pinochet Ugarte (Chilean gen/dictator) marries Lucia Hiriart
- 1946 - MLB baseball player Hank Greenberg (35) weds heiress Caral Gimbel in Sea Island, Georgia
- 1546 - Martin Luther, biblical scholar/religious reformer, dies at 62
- 1564 - Michelangelo Buonarroti, Italian sculptor/painter (David), dies at 88
- 1587 - Mary Stuart, Queen of Scots (1560-87), beheaded at 44
- 1957 - Joseph Hamilton, American Physician who was a pioneer of using radioactive isotopes in disease treatment and diagnosis, dies of radiation induced leukemia at 49
- 1967 - Robert Oppenheimer, creator of atomic bomb, dies of throat cancer at 62
- 1998 - Harry Caray, sportscaster (Chicago Cubs), dies at 77
- 2001 - Dale Earnhardt, American race car driver dies in car crash at Daytona 500 race (b. 1951)
Have Us E-mail You The Latest News
Your #1 Local Source for News, Sports, Opinion, Obituaries, Religion, Classifieds, Events, Photos, Community, Coupons, and more!
Serving Lincoln, Catawba, Gaston and Cleveland counties including the areas of Lincolnton, Denver, Maiden, Stanley, Alexis, Vale, Crouse, Iron Station, High Shoals and Cherryville.
Not a newspaper, not a magazine, we’re online – on your computer at home or work, on your smartphone… with news and more 24 hours a day, seven days a week, every day of the year including holidays.
To Make Sure You Always
Get The Latest Updates,
If You Haven’t Already:
Like Our Facebook Page and
Click On SEE FIRST at
Also Follow Us On Twitter
Article Comment Submission Form