Community Living | Coupon | Police Scanner | E-News Signup | Archives | Merchant Directory | Dining Guide
Have a HOT TIP? Call 704-276-6587 Or E-mail us At LH@LincolnHerald.net
Advanced Search
Lincoln Herald | Lincolnton, NC


home : news : e-news August 18, 2022

11/20/2012 10:00:00 AM
Fire On Hubbard Street Damages Home
None injured; dogs rescued

Thomas Lark
Lincoln Herald Staff


LINCOLNTON—A Nov. 14 fire at 109 Hubbard St. luckily left no one injured.

According to Chief Mitch Burgin of the Lincolnton Fire Department, this was one of those fire stories with a happy ending. The chief explained Monday that the house, the residence of an adult male and female and three kids 12, 12 and 13 years of age, also was home to two dogs. The people weren’t home at the time of the blaze, but the dogs were. However, thanks to the brave work of Lincolnton Fire Department personnel, the canine cuties’ lives were saved. Burgin said he saw an LFD firefighter handing one dog out of a window of the home.

“Our guys made a good knockdown on it,” he said of his men’s firefighting efforts. “There was heavy smoke coming from the structure when we arrived on the scene. My guys went in and made their way to the back of house and the kitchen area.”

Burgin informed that the fire’s origin was down to a malfunctioning toaster. The faulty appliance caught some curtains on fire, resulting in damage to the kitchen floor and ceiling. The chief added that this came to an estimated $6,000 in damages to the house, valued at approximately $50,000. But thankfully, the home is salvageable.

The chief thanked his fellow firefighters from the Boger City Fire Department for their mutual-aid response to the blaze.

Burgin stressed that appliance safety can be quite literally a lifesaver.

“Always remember to keep a three-foot safety area around your appliances,” he said, thus hopefully avoiding such accidents. “(The Hubbard Street residents) said the toaster had been giving them trouble. It’s not worth taking the risk. It’s always best to replace malfunctioning appliances.”

And with Thanksgiving this week and Christmas a month later, Burgin emphasised the need for holiday-related safety.

“There’s a lot of cooking during the holidays,” he said. “It’s very important to never leave cooking unattended. Leave someone in your kitchen at all times. It’s easy to be distracted by family festivities. But a kitchen fire, even a small one, can really ruin your holiday celebrations.”

To learn more about holiday safety, Burgin invites you to call the Lincolnton Fire Department at (704) 736-8920.

 

 



1 - Jackie Dameron Farm Bureau

3 - LC Health Dept 2022 Survey


Reader Comments

Posted: Sunday, December 2, 2012
Article comment by: sherry parker

This fire was at my home..I would like to take the opportunity to say thank you to everyone who helped my family and I that night. We are making progress on repairs and thanks to a lot of very kind people we are almost back to normal life. A fire,even a small one,can be traumatic to a family..please practice fire prevention!



Article Comment Submission Form
Please feel free to submit your comments.

Article comments are not posted immediately to the Web site. Each submission must be approved by the Web site editor, who may edit content for appropriateness. There may be a delay of 24-48 hours for any submission while the web site editor reviews and approves it.

Note: All information on this form is required. Your telephone number is for our use only, and will not be attached to your comment.
Submit an Article Comment
First Name:
Required
Last Name:
Required
Telephone:
Required
Email:
Required
Comment:
Required
Passcode:
Required
Anti-SPAM Passcode Click here to see a new mix of characters.
This is an anti-SPAM device. It is not case sensitive.
   
























HomeNewsState NewsReligionOpinionSportsObituariesExtrasCommunityClassifiedsSubmitLife

Terms and Use | Merchant Directory | Dining Guide
Site Design and Content
Copyright Lincoln Herald, LLC 2011-2021

 


Software © 1998-2022 1up! Software, All Rights Reserved