Message from Dr. Lory Morrow, Superintendent of Lincoln County Schools
Governor Cooper has directed all schools to close for students effective March 16- 30, 2020 by Executive Order. Lincoln County Schools strives to serve all children during this school closure. Currently our staff is working to plan and prepare instructional opportunities for students as well as working to maintain daily operations. We will continue to update staff members and the community with additional information as it becomes available from our partners at the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction, the Lincoln County Health Department, and the Governor’s office. Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.
Board of Education Meeting Actions- March 16, 2020
• March 17-30, 2020 will now be required/mandatory workdays for ALL staff (certified and classified). See attached calendar revision. Principals will work with staff on a case by case basis for employees that may need special provisions due to being susceptible to illness. Employees will have the option to take annual leave days, with administrative approval, or sick leave, if the employee cannot work during this time.
The purpose of the required workdays is to appropriately plan for instruction and operations for the next two weeks and potentially beyond, in the event that Governor Cooper changes current orders. Any instructional assignments sent home over the next two weeks is intended for skill maintenance. Each grade span will have expectations defined by the appropriate Director of Instructional Services.
• All student field trips as well as school and district activities have now been canceled through April 19, 2020. This includes, but is not limited to, athletic events, practices, workouts, all school site events, PTO/Booster sponsored activities, Drivers Education instruction and behind the wheel training, Professional Development, Band practices and competitions, Arts performances, and all on site or face to face school fundraisers. Athletic contests have been suspended by the NCHSAA for grades 9-12 and DPI for grades 6-8. Should this information be updated and amended from NCHSAA/DPI regarding sports practices and contests, the Board of Education may revisit this section.
Feeding Site Information
• Beginning Wednesday March 18, 2020, the following school sites will be made available for food distribution.
o Battleground Elementary
o S Ray Lowder Elementary
o West Lincoln Middle School
o North Brook Elementary
o Norris Childers Elementary
o Iron Station Elementary
o East Lincoln High School
o Pumpkin Center Intermediate School
• These sites will be open from 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM each school day and will provide lunch (fruit, vegetable, sandwich, and milk) and a breakfast (fruit, milk, cereal/breakfast entrée) for the next day.
• This will be a drive thru opportunity. Look for the signage to direct cars to the appropriate locations on campus.
• Meals will be served to all students under the age of 18.
• A road officer or Student Resource Officer from the Lincolnton Police Department or the Lincoln County Sheriff’s Office will be on site for lunch distribution each day.
• Community partners are working to coordinate food resources for immediate feeding needs. For the immediate future, food resources will be housed at the Central Services facility and will then be deployed to feeding locations as determined. Additional information will be provided once items are ready for dispensing.
Instructional Services Updates
• Report cards will not go out on March 30, 2020. A new date will be determined once students return to school.
• Teachers will be creating at home learning packets intended to maintain skills during the closure. These packets will be available for pick up at school sites on March 18, 2020 from 1:00-4:00. Each school will communicate and provide additional instructions for picking up these packets.
• School based operational hours will be from 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM. Should families of medications or other essential items that have been left at school by students.
• All facility use agreements have been canceled until April 19, 2020. This includes the use of all school athletic fields and practice areas.
Comparta la versión en español de este comunicado de prensa con sus amigos de habla hispana.