|12/29/2018 2:13:00 PM|
New Year's Shooters Schedules Announced
Photos from previous years
New Year's Day Shooters.
(Lincoln Herald File Photos)
|Lincoln Herald Staff|
LINCOLNTON, N.C. – Two groups of New Year’s shooters from Cherryville will make the rounds firing their old rifles and chanting in the New Year’s welcome on Tuesday, January 1 beginning at 12 a.m.
They will travel from house to house and business to business in Lincoln, Gaston, and Cleveland counties.
An article in the Gastonia Gazette from 1959 stated that the Cherryville New Year’s Shooters had shot in the New Year for 150 years, never missing a year since the tradition started. So if the numbers are correct 2019 will mark the 210th year for the oldest group of shooters. But many believe that the tradition goes back even farther and can be linked back to the areas of Germany from where many German immigrants settled in the areas in the Cherryville area.
No, you won't be imagining it if you have heard some shots leading up to January 1, 2018. Some folks in the area are being paid a visit by the Cherryville Traditional New Year Shooters to begin ringing in the New Year. Usually on the Saturday before New Year’s it has become a custom with this group to travel to areas they normally don’t reach on New Year’s Day especially in the Lincolnton area.
From an age-old tradition both groups visit various communities to fire their guns at each location and the job of who sings out the chant rotates in each group over the years. In case you have never heard it or wasn’t quite sure what you heard, here are the words:
Good morning to you, sir. We wish you a happy New Year,
Great health, long life, which God may bestow
So long as you stay here below. May he bestow the house you're in,
Where you go out and you go in. Time by moments steals away,
First the hour and then the day. Small the lost days may appear,
But they soon mount up to a year. Thus another year is gone,
And now it is no more of our own, but if it brings our promises good
As the year before the flood, but let none of us forget
It has left us much in debt, a favor from the Lord received
Since which our spirits hath been grieved. Marked by the unerring hand,
Thus in His book our record stands. Who can tell the vast amounts
Placed to each our accounts? But while you owe the debt is large,
You may plead a full discharge. But poor and selfish sinners say,
What can you to justice pay? Trembling last for life is past
And into prison you may be cast. Happy is the believing soul,
Christ for you has paid the whole. We have this New Year's morning
Called you by your name, and disturbed you from your rest,
But we hope no harm by the same. As we ask, come tell us your desire,
And if it be your desire, our guns and pistols they shall fire.
Since we hear of no defiance, you shall hear the art of science.
When we pull trigger and powder burns, you shall hear the roaring of our guns;
Oh, daughters of righteousness, we will rise and warm our eyes
And bless our hearts, for the old year's gone and the New Year's come
And for good luck, we'll fire our guns!
The Cherryville Traditional New Year Shooters
- Monday, December 31, 2018 at 6:15 p.m. at the Lincolnton Apple Drop
Schedule For Tuesday, January 1 Will Be*:
- Cherryville City Hall, South Mountain Street, 12:00 a.m.
- Darrell Carpenter, Washburn Street
- Marty Lankford, South Cherry Street, 1:00 a.m.
- Black's Grill, Hwy 150 East
- Marcus Moss, Hwy 150 East, 2:00 a.m.
- Steve Dover, Old Coach Lane
- Mark Upchurch, Roy Eaker Road
- Robin McSwain Sigmon, Requa Road, 3:00 a.m.
- Scott Miller, Bud Black Road
- Robin Howard, Hwy 27 (Supper)
- Lyndsey Houser, Voyd Brendel Road
- Hull’s Service Station, Hwy 27, 4:00 a.m.
- Billy Chatham, Hull’s Grove Church Road
- Tommy Peeler, Peeler Road
- Ken and Ruby Lingerfelt, Hallman Mill Road, 5:00 a.m.
- Bobby Heavner, Hwy 274 North
- Snake Eaker, Bess Chapel
- Kim Cook, Baxter Road, 6:00 a.m.
- Delbert McSwain, Lee Black Road
- Pete Craft, Lee Black Road
- Don Lavery, Hwy 274 North, 7:00 a.m.
- Hugh's Pond (Breakfast)
- Cherryville Fire Department, Hwy 150 East, 7:30 a.m.
- Larry McGinnis, Vista Drive, 8:30 a.m.
- Doug Whitworth
- Ron Hovis, Vista Drive, 9:00 a.m.
- Heafner's Superette, Hwy 150 East
- Mrs. Jack Jones, Crouse
- Johnny Heafner, Alderholt Road, 10:00 a.m.
- Bobby Fuller, St Mark's Church Road
- Shelly Price, St Mark’s Church Road, 11:00 AM
- Sellers' Service Center, Hwy 279
- Peak Resources, Hwy 279
- Don Alexander (Lunch), Queen's Drive, 12:00 p.m.
- Larry Roberts, Benbrook Street
- Mary Green, 100 Lowery Lane, 1:00 p.m.
- Ronald Leonhardt, 103 Huss Avenue
- Train Depot, Main Street, Cherryville
- Dennis Devine, East Ballard Street, 2:00 p.m.
- Danny Hester, Hwy 274 South
- Mike Auten, Sellerstown Road
- Janet Canipe, Milo Neil Road, 3:00 p.m.
- William Wallace, Mary's Grove Road
- Pete Hamrick, Mary's Grove Road
- Scott Jones, Stonewood Estates, 4:00 p.m.
- Tonja Thockmorton, 134 Cricket Creek Drive
- Scott Mauney, Crown Creek
- Paula Deese, Myra Lane, 5:00 p.m.
- Cherryville Public Warehouse, West Academy Street
- Somerset Court, West Academy Street
- Russell Jones, C-Street, 6:00 p.m.
- Pete Neill, Self Street
- Rick Campbell, Brookwood Drive
- Jake Brittain, Delview Road, 7:00 p.m.
- Dan Ginn (at the cannon), Delview Road
- The Great Outdoors, Cherry Street
- Ballard Park, Rudisill Street, 7:30 p.m.
The Cherryville New Year Shooters, Inc.
(The oldest and original group)
Schedule For Monday, January 1 Will Be*:
- Black’s Grill-For Dave Black Family (1915 Lincolnton Hwy-150 East) 12:00 a.m.
- Gas Land (East Church Street)
- Mark Upchurch (Roy Eaker Road)
- Carpenter’s (Washburn Street) SUPPER 1:00-1:30 a.m.
- Steve McGinnis (214 West Academy Street)
- Triple “B” One Stop (Hwy 274 North - Northbrook) 2:00 a.m.
- Reid Parker Family (Flay Road) Turn left off Hwy 274 North
- Mark Powell (Hwy 274 North - Northbrook)
- Hull’s Service Station (Hwy 274-27) 3:00 a.m.
- Billy Chatham (Hulls Grove Church Road)
- Peeler’s (at Creek) –across the street (Peeler Road) 4:00 a.m.
- Cat Square at Sain & Heavner Trucking (Cat Square Road)
- Houser Beam Family (Howards Creek Mill Road) 5:00 a.m.
- Roy Dellinger Family (Indian Creek – Johnstown Road)
- Donna Carroll (Tot Dellinger Road)
- Forrest Ross (Tot Dellinger Road) 6:00 a.m.
- Steve Sellers (Kenwood Road)
- Ralph Sellers Service Station (Dallas-Cherryville Hwy)
- Todd Jackson (Dallas-Cherryville Hwy) 7:00 a.m.
- Ronnie Gantt (Dallas-Cherryville Hwy)
- Lee Weatherly Grocery (East Church Street)
- Floyd Wright (Eaker Circle - Delview) 8:00 a.m.
- Open (Breakfast Break)
- Tom White Family (Oak Street)
- Mrs. J.C. Beam (East Academy Street) 9:00 a.m.
- Blackwelders Machine (Pink Street)
- C.V. Thornburg (Hawthorne Street)
- Dennis Willis – Skeet Brackett (S. Rudisill Street) 10:00 a.m.
- Edwin Homesley (East Academy Street)
- Jack Davis (Queens Road)
- David Beam (Woodhaven Drive) 11:00 a.m.
- Cherryville Railroad Depot (Depot Street)
- Shooters Heritage Mural (at the Square, Mountain & Main St.)
- Pythian Lodge (Paul H. Beam Road) LUNCH 12:00 p.m.
- Horace Lutz (North Main Street, Waco) 1:00 p.m.
- Dorothy Howell (Hwy 150 West)
- Howell Stroup Family (Hwy 150 West)
- Wise Electric Control–Wise Family (Hwy 150 West) Across from Food Lion, Group Picture, 2:00 p.m.
- Nicole Blaylock (205 West Second Street)
- James Putnam (North Jacob Street)
- Blain Beam Family (Requa Road) 3:00 p.m.
- Mercer Family - Gerald Quinn (Requa Road)
- Carolina Care Rest Home (Hwy 274 North)
- Open (possibly filled depending on time) (Hwy 274 North) 4:00 p.m.
- Jason Day (Fisher Road)
- Lee Daggerhart (Tot Dellinger Road)
- Joe Bill Putnam (Hwy 150 East) 5:00 p.m.
- Hudson’s (South Mulberry Street)
- Shooter’s Statue – for all past shooters (South Jacob Street-Uptown Cherryville)
- Rudisill Football Stadium (East Church Street) 6:30 p.m.
All shooters are required to show their Membership ID badges at all times.
*Times are approximate and are subject to change, you will notice that both groups do visit some of the same places at different times.
Have Us E-mail You The Latest News
LincolnHerald.net OR LincolnHerald.com
Your #1 Local Source for News, Sports, Opinion, Obituaries, Religion, Classifieds, Events, Photos, Community, Coupons, and more!
Serving Lincoln, Catawba, Gaston and Cleveland counties including the areas of Lincolnton, Denver, Maiden, Stanley, Alexis, Vale, Crouse, Iron Station, High Shoals and Cherryville.
Not a newspaper, not a magazine, we’re online – on your computer at home or work, on your smartphone… with news and more 24 hours a day, seven days a week, every day of the year including holidays.
To Make Sure You Always
Get The Latest Updates,
If You Haven’t Already:
Like Our Facebook Page and
Click On SEE FIRST at
Also Follow Us On Twitter
Article Comment Submission Form