The Lincoln County Health Dept. will release its newest COVID-19 pandemic report Tuesday afternoon. They only put out figures twice weekly on Tuesday and Friday. Last Friday's report showed the lowest number of active cases in the county since late June.
The North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services reported 1,186 new COVID-19 cases and 10 additional deaths Monday. The positive test percentage was still pegged at just over seven percent.
Health officials said 11% of North Carolina's confirmed coronavirus cases are in children between birth and 17 years old; only four of those who have died related to the disease in North Carolina were under 25. One juvenile death (under age 17) was among them.
Two vaccines are now in Phase 3 trials, but a vaccine probably won't be publicly available until at least early next year. A poll earlier this month indicated that even when a vaccine becomes available, 40% of Americans say they won't take it. That's in line with other anti-vaccine paranoia. Between 35 and 40 percent of Americans don't get a flu shot each year.
Gaston County's active case count increased from Friday until Monday. The 1,150 active cases on Friday was the lowest in over a month, but the count increased to 1,196 Monday. Gaston County also reported its positive test rate increased from 10.74% the week of August 9-15 to 11.59% the week of August 16-22. It had dropped to 10.03% the first week of August. Gaston County has had 64 people die from the disease.
In the past week (Aug. 24-30) eight more COVID-19 deaths were reported in Cleveland County. That brings the death toll there to 45. The county had 168 active cases on Monday.
Catawba County Public Health reported that county's 46th COVID-19 death Monday. The good news is that the number of new cases reported Monday was only seven.
Nationally, 186,000 people have died related to the disease. The CDC issued a report last week that said only 6% of those died purely from COVID-19 and had no other underlying health conditions. That doesn't mean the other 94% didn't die from COVID-19. Each year, flu deaths are reported based on people who get the flu and then die--most often from other complications, and quite often people who have other adverse health conditions. Their deaths are still attributed to flu, just as most of these can rightfully be attributed to COVID-19. The question that should be asked is, if they hadn't been infected with the coronavirus, would these people have died? In most cases, the answer is 'no.'
Governor Roy Cooper announced Monday that he is extending the ban on alcoholic beverage sales after 11 PM until the end of September. Cooper and NCDHHS Secretary Dr. Mandy Cohen are to hold a COVID-19 update briefing Tuesday afternoon at 3 PM. Cooper is expected to announce some relaxation on restrictions, among them the order that gyms be closed.
Gyms have been allowed to serve members who have a medical need for them, and many have used that loophole to fully open to all customers. It's estimated that about 20% of gyms are currently operating just as they did before the pandemic began.
There are exceptions. The Lincoln County Family YMCA and Sally's Y have kept their indoor exercise areas closed, and the swimming pool at the Lincolnton Y also remains closed; the one at Sally's, which is outdoors, is open.