Community Living | Coupon | Police Scanner | E-News Signup | Archives | Merchant Directory | Dining Guide
Have a HOT TIP? Call 704-276-6587 Or E-mail us At LH@LincolnHerald.net
Advanced Search
Lincoln Herald | Lincolnton, NC


home : news : news May 16, 2021

3/23/2021 5:06:00 PM
Cooper Relaxes Restrictions

Wayne Howard
Staff Writer


North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper said Tuesday afternoon (March 23rd) that he is further easing COVID-19 restrictions that include increasing the maximum occupancy at many businesses and at large gatherings as well as those for entertainment and sports events including high school ball games. The changes take effect this Friday.

"Please understand this does not mean the pandemic is over," Cooper said. We may need to be even more careful now as we venture out into public. Strong safety protocols, including the mask mandate, will remain in place. It will be as important as ever to stay socially distant and use good judgment."

Museums, aquariums, retail businesses, barbers/salons and other personal care shops can open at 100% capacity.

Restaurants, breweries and wineries, amusement parts and gyms, and pools can now have 75 % capacity.

Bars, sports arenas and other live performance venues can operate at 50% capacity.

Masks and 6-feet of social distancing will still be required, and Cooper said that means some of them may not be able to reach the maximum occupancy allowed by the order.

Also dffective Friday, the 11 PM curfew for on-site alcohol consumption will be lifted.

The mass gathering limit, which covers gatherings not otherwise spelled out in the order, can now have up to 50 people indoors and 100 outdoors.

If we did our math correctly, the change means that instead of 1620 fans, East Lincoln can accommodate 2520 fans for their Homecoming game vs Maiden on Friday. We'll update that info (and correct it if necessary) on Wednesday.

Cooper's announcement had been expected because the number of new cases of the virus in NC has reached a plateau around a thousand per day and hospitalizations have fallen to just under a thousand. Health experts have warned that discontinuing the 3Ws will likely lead to a surge in new cases even as more people are getting vaccinated against the virus.

"This virus and its more contagious variants are still spreading, and we may even need to be more careful as we ease restrictions in that we will likely come into contact with more people when we leave our homes and go into public places," Cooper said.

Dr. Mandy Cohen, Secretary of NCDHHS, said 18.8% of North Carolina adults are now fully vaccinated, 31.7% have had at least one shot of the two-dose varieties.  The state recorded 18 more deaths from the virus Tuesday, bringing the death toll in the last year to 11,854. The state's daily percentage of positive tests is on the rise again. It was 6.3% Tuesday.

In Gaston County, hospitalizations have increased in the last several days. 30 people were hospitalized with COVID Tuesday, three of them on a ventilator. Catawba County had 15 people hospitalized with the virus. 407 people in Gaston and 293 in Catawba have now died from the disease. Cleveland County had eight residents hospitalized and 126 known active cases. 218 people there have died from the virus. Lincoln County reported 85 known active cases Tuesday. The county has had 83 deaths.

If you still need to get vaccinated, the Lincoln County Health Department will be holding a first shot clinic for those in groups 1-3 this Thursday and Friday. To book an appointment, visit https://app.acuityscheduling.com/schedule.php?owner=21725268&appointmentType=21354100.

The Cleveland County Health Department still had some appointments available this week. Call 980-484-6019 Monday – Friday 8-5. Appointments were also still available for a drive-up vaccination clinic by Kintegra Health scheduled for Friday 9 -3 at the Alexis Fire Department on Highway 27 in Alexis. To make an appointment or for info on other Kintegra vaccination clinics, visit https://www.kintegra.org/covid-19-vaccination-event-schedule/.




CLICK HERE
to have us email you 
the latest news every day--
 
The Lincoln Herald has been providing local news FREE online since 2012.  We continue to grow every year.  As Lincoln County's only daily news source, we do our best to keep you informed.  You don't have to pay for a subscription to read our articles, we even post links to all of them on Facebook & Twitter.

Have you signed up for our FREE email service?  If not, you should!  When you do, we'll send you an email every day with links to our latest articles.  That way, you won't miss the latest news, sports, obituaries and more.   

If you haven’t already, 'like' our Facebook page at LincolnHerald.net and follow us on Twitter  @LincolnHerald20.



1  - Rock Fitness 2021




Article Comment Submission Form
Please feel free to submit your comments.

Article comments are not posted immediately to the Web site. Each submission must be approved by the Web site editor, who may edit content for appropriateness. There may be a delay of 24-48 hours for any submission while the web site editor reviews and approves it.

Note: All information on this form is required. Your telephone number is for our use only, and will not be attached to your comment.
Submit an Article Comment
First Name:
Required
Last Name:
Required
Telephone:
Required
Email:
Required
Comment:
Required
Passcode:
Required
Anti-SPAM Passcode Click here to see a new mix of characters.
This is an anti-SPAM device. It is not case sensitive.
   














HomeNewsState NewsReligionOpinionSportsObituariesExtrasCommunityClassifiedsSubmitLife

Terms and Use | Merchant Directory | Dining Guide
Site Design and Content
Copyright Lincoln Herald, LLC 2011-2019

 


Software © 1998-2021 1up! Software, All Rights Reserved