Community Living | Coupon | Police Scanner | E-News Signup | Archives | Merchant Directory | Dining Guide
Have a HOT TIP? Call 704-276-6587 Or E-mail us At LH@LincolnHerald.net
Advanced Search
Lincoln Herald | Lincolnton, NC


home : sports : local sports October 1, 2020

8/19/2020 8:33:00 PM
Sage Surratt Won't Play This Fall

Wayne Howard
Staff Writer


Sage Surratt, who likely has a bright future playing in the NFL, has decided not to play for the Wake Forest "Demon Deacons" this Fall.

With all the uncertainty because of the COVID-19 pandemic, Surratt announced Wednesday he is opting out of the 2020 college football season. He made his intentions known with a prepared statement on Twitter.

Sage played football and basketball with his brother Chazz, a linebacker at UNC, at East Lincoln High School before transferring to Lincolnton.  He was an All-Conference selection in each of his four seasons in both sports. In football, he set state records for receptions (366), yards (5,926) and touchdown receptions (80). In basketball, he finished as the second-leading scorer in North Carolina history with 2,951 points.  He is the only player ever to be named as the Player of the Year in both football and basketball by the NCHSAA.  

When he went to Wake Forest in 2017, he didn't play his freshman year.  In 2018, as a redshirt freshman, he started the first game of his collegiate career and was named the Rookie of the Week after catching 11 passes for 150 yards against Tulane. That season, he  was the "Demon Deacons" second leading receiver with 41 receptions for 581 yards and four touchdowns. 

In his sophomore season last year, he was named the ACC Receiver of the Week four out of the first eight weeks of the season and was the first player from a Power Five conference to accumulate 1,000 receiving yards.  His season ended with a shoulder injury on November 9th against Virginia Tech. Even so, he was a first team All-ACC selection.

Both he and Chazz had been named pre-season favorites for multiple awards this year: among them All-ACC and All-American.  

In his Twitter post, Sage said the coronavirus and the uncertainties it has caused were the reason he had decided not to play in 2020.  "My love for Deacon Nation makes this decision very difficult,” he said. “After careful consideration I will forgo the upcoming season due to the many uncertainties and risks associated with COVID-19. My family and I have decided it is best for me to focus on training for the 2021 NFL Draft.”

While this would have been his junior year of college football, it's his senior year at Wake Forest.  Next year, he'll be studying NFL playbooks.  With the skills he has already shown, he'll almost certainly be offered an NFL contract and quite possibly may be a first round selection.



3 - City of Lincolnton - Recycle Friday

CLICK HERE
to have us email you 
the latest news every day--
 
The Lincoln Herald has been providing local news FREE online since 2012.  We continue to grow every year. We post links to all our articles on Facebook, where we have over 13,000 followers, and on Twitter.  Over 6,000 readers have signed up for our FREE daily email service and get an email every day with links to the articles we've posted since the previous day's email. 

Thanks for visiting our websiteAlso visit our Facebook page at LincolnHerald.net and follow us on Twitter  @LincolnHerald20.



1 - Court Street Grill 550


Reader Comments

Posted: Friday, August 21, 2020
Article comment by: Tom D

Pretty sure nobody cares about this except his family.... .............................. RESPONSE TO TOM D. COMMENT FROM WAYNE HOWARD: When an All-ACC and likely All-American player decides to forgo his Junior year and prepare for a pro career AND when that young man is from Lincoln County, that is big sports news. The story was also covered by dozens of newspapers, TV stations, ESPN and Fox Sports. It may not interest you, but thousands took time to read the article.



Article Comment Submission Form
Please feel free to submit your comments.

Article comments are not posted immediately to the Web site. Each submission must be approved by the Web site editor, who may edit content for appropriateness. There may be a delay of 24-48 hours for any submission while the web site editor reviews and approves it.

Note: All information on this form is required. Your telephone number is for our use only, and will not be attached to your comment.
Submit an Article Comment
First Name:
Required
Last Name:
Required
Telephone:
Required
Email:
Required
Comment:
Required
Passcode:
Required
Anti-SPAM Passcode Click here to see a new mix of characters.
This is an anti-SPAM device. It is not case sensitive.
   














HomeNewsState NewsReligionOpinionSportsObituariesExtrasCommunityClassifiedsSubmitLife

Terms and Use | Merchant Directory | Dining Guide
Site Design and Content
Copyright Lincoln Herald, LLC 2011-2019

 


Software © 1998-2020 1up! Software, All Rights Reserved