Hickory's Patrick Beaver Memorial Library will have a special presentation Tuesday evening (July 27th) about the historic Bunker Hill Covered Bridge. Bo Teague, Executive Director of the Historical Association of Catawba County, will talk about the bridge and its history at the 6:30 PM gathering.
The bridge, located just off US-70 in Claremont, is one of only two original remaining covered bridges in North Carolina;the other is in Randolph County. It was built in 1895 by Andy L. Ramsour. Catawba County Commissioners had called on nearby owners of Bunker Hill Farm to build and maintain a bridge that would cross Lyle’s Creek on the old Island Ford Road. The landowners hired Ramsour, keeper of the Horseford covered bridge that then spanned the Catawba River north of Hickory.
Originally constructed as an open span, the Bunker Hill Covered Bridge, whose roof is ninety-one feet long, was covered in 1900. In 1921 its wooden shingles were replaced with a tin roof. Bolick Family members donated the bridge in 1985 to the Catawba County Historical Association, which restored it in 1994.
Teague, a life-long Catawba County resident, was raised in the Blackburn Community just south of Hickory and attended Gardner-Webb University. He has been with the Historical Association of Catawba County for eight years and works to preserve the objects, stories and places that matter most to Catawbans.
Registration is not required for this program. For more information, call 828-304-0500. Patrick Beaver Memorial Library is located at 375 3rd Street NE on the SALT Block. All library programs are free and open to the public.