Community Living | Coupon | Police Scanner | E-News Signup | Archives | Merchant Directory | Dining Guide
Have a HOT TIP? Call 704-276-6587 Or E-mail us At LH@LincolnHerald.net
Lincoln Herald | Lincolnton, NC


home : state news : e-state news September 18, 2018

9/13/2018 2:48:00 PM
Avoid Deadly Carbon Monoxide During & After Hurricane Florence

N.C. Department Of Health
And Human Services


RALEIGH, N.C. - As North Carolinians prepare for Hurricane Florence, officials with the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services are cautioning people about the risks of using gasoline-powered generators and outdoor grills and camp stoves that use charcoal or propane gas in enclosed spaces.

“The safety and health of North Carolinians is our first priority before, during and after the storm,” said State Health Director and DHHS Chief Medical Officer Elizabeth Tilson, M.D., MPH. “With expected prolonged power outages, we want to people stay safe after the storm has passed.”



Jackie D.

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas produced whenever fuel is burned. In an enclosed space, such as a home, garage, car or camper, carbon monoxide can build up to deadly levels quickly. Low or moderate levels of carbon monoxide can cause dizziness, nausea, headaches, confusion or fainting. High levels of the gas can be deadly within minutes.

Carbon monoxide poisoning can be fatal to anyone, especially children, pregnant women, older adults and/or those with chronic illness. Also, individuals who are sleeping or intoxicated can die from carbon monoxide poisoning before ever becoming aware of their symptoms.

To stay safe:

  • Do not use gasoline-powered engines in enclosed or partially enclosed spaces. Use them outdoors, at least 20 feet from doors, windows and vents. 
  • Do not use charcoal grills or propane stoves indoors, even in a fireplace. 
  • Do not idle your car or truck in the garage, even if the garage door to the outside is open. Fumes can build up quickly in the garage and living area of your home. 
  • Keep rooms well ventilated. 
  • Read and follow all instructions that accompany fuel-burning devices. Use the proper fuel and make sure there is enough air for ventilation and fuel burning. 
  • Install and maintain a carbon monoxide alarm in your home.
  • Those experiencing symptoms of dizziness, nausea, headaches, confusion or fainting may be experiencing carbon monoxide poisoning. Get to fresh air immediately and seek medical care.

For more information about carbon monoxide poisoning prevention, visit: http://epi.publichealth.nc.gov/oee/a_z/co.html.



Have Us E-mail You The Latest News
Click Here

LincolnHerald.net OR LincolnHerald.com

Your #1 Local Source for News, Sports, Opinion, Obituaries, Religion, Classifieds, Events, Photos, Community, Coupons, and more!

Serving Lincoln, Catawba, Gaston and Cleveland counties including the areas of Lincolnton, Denver, Maiden, Stanley, Alexis, Vale, Crouse, Iron Station, High Shoals and Cherryville.

Not a newspaper, not a magazine, we’re online – on your computer at home or work, on your smartphone… with news and more 24 hours a day, seven days a week, every day of the year including holidays.

To Make Sure You Always
Get The Latest Updates,
If You Haven’t Already:

Like Our Facebook Page and
Click On SEE FIRST at
LincolnHerald.net

Also Follow Us On Twitter 
@LincolnHerald20




First Federal standard ad 550




Article Comment Submission Form
Please feel free to submit your comments.

Article comments are not posted immediately to the Web site. Each submission must be approved by the Web site editor, who may edit content for appropriateness. There may be a delay of 24-48 hours for any submission while the web site editor reviews and approves it.

Note: All information on this form is required. Your telephone number is for our use only, and will not be attached to your comment.
Submit an Article Comment
First Name:
Required
Last Name:
Required
Telephone:
Required
Email:
Required
Comment:
Required
Passcode:
Required
Anti-SPAM Passcode Click here to see a new mix of characters.
This is an anti-SPAM device. It is not case sensitive.
   


North Carolina News







News

HomeNewsState NewsReligionOpinionSportsObituariesExtrasCommunityClassifiedsSubmitLife

Terms and Use | Merchant Directory | Dining Guide
Site Design and Content
Copyright Lincoln Herald, LLC 2011-2015

 


Software © 1998-2018 1up! Software, All Rights Reserved