North Lincoln High School Beta Club members were among those who participated.
Wayne Howard Staff Writer
The United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization estimates that nearly 870 million people of the 7.1 billion people in the world, or one in eight, were suffering from chronic undernourishment in 2010-2012. Almost all the hungry people, 852 million, live in developing countries, representing 15 percent of the population of developing counties. There are 16 million people undernourished in developed countries.
Compared to twenty years earlier, the number of undernourished people decreased nearly 30 percent in Asia and the Pacific, from 739 million to 563 million, largely due to socio-economic progress in many countries in the region. The prevalence of undernourishment in the region decreased from 23.7 percent to 13.9 percent.
Latin America and the Caribbean also made progress, falling from 65 million hungry in 1990-1992 to 49 million in 2010-2012, while the prevalence of undernourishment dipped from 14.6 percent to 8.3 percent, but the rate of progress has slowed recently.
The number of hungry people grew in Africa over the period, from 175 million to 239 million, with nearly 20 million added in the last few years. Nearly one in four people there are hungry and in sub-Saharan Africa, the modest progress achieved in recent years up to 2007 was reversed, with hunger rising 2 percent per year since then.
Developed regions also saw the number of hungry rise, from 13 million in 2004-2006 to 16 million in 2010-2012, reversing a steady decrease in previous years from 20 million in 1990-1992.
There are many charitable organizations seeking to help the hungry. One of them is Stop Hunger Now. Founded in 1998, Stop Hunger Now coordinates the distribution of food and other life-saving aid to crisis-burdened areas around the world. Since its beginning, Stop Hunger Now has distributed more than 100 million meals to 65 countries.
On Saturday, January 10th, more than 80 volunteers gathered at the Fellowship Hall of Boger City United Methodist Church to bag over 10,000 fortified rice and soy protein meals including vegetables and vitamins. Each of the bagged meals, we were told, will feed one meal to a family of six. Of the meals bagged that day, 10% would be distributed in the US, the other 90% were destined for the Ebola-stricken area of West Africa.
Among church members involved were the UMYF group and the WADYs (we were told that stands for "we ain't dead yet") senior group who participated in the effort. They were joined by members of the Lincolnton Lions Club. Valerie Carpenter, Assistant Program Manager for Stop Hunger Now and a member of the Long View Lions Club had created interest in the project when she spoke to the Lincolnton Lions last October during World Hunger Awareness Month. Additionally, Joe Preston, 2014-15 International President of Lions Club International encouraged all 1.36 million Lions to observe the week of January 10th-16th as a Worldwide Week of Service to celebrate the birthday of Melvin Jones, who founded Lions Club International in 1917...and three members of the Lions Club are also members of Boger City United Methodist Church: Lions President Faye Poovey, Lion Robert Tomlinson, and Rev. Eric Reese, pastor of the church.
Also participating in the effort on January 10th were volunteers from Hesed House of Hope, the homeless shelter in Lincolnton, volunteers who work with I-Care, Inc., and the Beta Club from North Lincoln High School.
Your Lincolnton-Lincoln County Online News Source for News, Sports, Opinion, Obituaries, Religion, Classifieds, Events, Photo, Community, Coupons and Police Scanner. Serving Lincoln and surrounding counties including the areas of Lincolnton, Denver, Maiden, Stanley, Alexis, Vale, Crouse, Iron Station, High Shoals and Cherryville and other nearby areas of Lincoln, Catawba, Gaston and Cleveland counties.
Not a newspaper, not a magazine, we’re online – on your computer at home or work, on your smartphone… with news and more 24 hours every day, seven days each week, every day of the year including holidays.